SFMTA – excerpt
SAN FRANCISCO BICYCLISTS MUST:
Yield to People Walking
- Whether they’re in a crosswalk or not, ALWAYS yield to people walking.
Stop BEHIND the Crosswalk
- Always stop behind the line at traffic signals and stop signs.
Stay on the Street
- It’s illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk unless you’re younger than 13 years of age.
Ride in the Direction of Traffic
- If you can’t go with the flow, it’s okay to WALK your bike on the sidewalk!
Obey Traffic Signs & Traffic Lights
- Just like other vehicles on the road, obey all street signs and signals.
- Rear reflectors and a front light are REQUIRED when riding in the dark! Red tail lights are strongly recommended.
- No headphones, calling or texting while riding – it’s the law!
Please note these are the rules posted by SFMTA.