Sara Bloomberg : potreroview – excerpt
The View asked the five candidates running for the District 10 Board of Supervisors seat this November the six questions listed below. Their responses were only lightly edited, mostly for typos. Candidates appear in reverse alphabetical order.
1. The Transportation and Road Improvement bond, Measure A, would allocate $500 million to improve Muni, bicycle and street infrastructure, and pedestrian safety. Do you support this measure? If it passes in November what would be your funding priorities for District 10? Please identify specific examples.
2. Measure E, “The Soda Tax,” would impose a levy of two cents per ounce on sugar-sweetened drinks sold in San Francisco. Revenue from the tax would fund programs to improve food access, physical fitness, health and nutrition. Bayview-Hunters Point has the City’s highest concentration of diabetes-related emergency room visits, according to the proposed ordinance. Do you support this measure? Why or why not?
3. District 10’s poverty rate is upwards of 18 percent, according to 2010 Census data, compared to the City average of 11 percent. As supervisor, what specific programs and/or policies would you support to help individuals and families emerge from poverty? Are you in favor of increasing the minimum wage?
4. Are there any specific City expenditures that you believe are wasteful?
5. Do you believe that the taxes and fees San Francisco levies on its residents and businesses are too high, or too low? Please explain your response.
6. How would you handle the onslaught of development occurring in Dogpatch, Potrero Hill, and Showplace Square?… (more)